Monday, February 13, 2012

I'm every woman, it's all in me.

Let's start with a little Whitney tribute:



My friends and I were in a bar for a bathroom break during Mardi Gras when we heard the news, and I have to admit, I was seriously sad! I think our obsession with movie and music stars in America (and the world at large, I suppose) is a little strange, but it is true that media shapes our lives somewhat, and part of that, for me, was a lot of early '90s R&B dance parties with my Mariah-obsessed  older brother. These dance parties often included this and other Whitney jams, so my nostalgia runs deep. I'll miss you, Whitney!


Speaking of my fabulous brother, he just had a birthday on Friday, during which my parents were there to visit him (JEALOUS!), and I sent them with the gift that I completed probably a year ago now, but JUST got framed:

Seth's birthday cross-stitch (a year-long project, obviously!)
The quote is from the movie Clueless (Cher says it to Elton when he tries to make a move on her, right before she gets out of the car and gets held up in the gas station parking lot, just FYI), which was another of the things Seth and I did together, endlessly. Seriously. I know pretty much every line, and I like that about myself! Also, Seth is mildly obsessed with Twin Peaks as well, so I thought the quote was pretty appropriate.

So yay, finally a blog update featuring a craft project!

Wait, make that 2: next up are some picture frames I made for these amazing photos of my parents that were dug up during the search for Mawmaw's 85th birthday photo layout, and I just couldn't bear them not being on display.

I'm not sure why I found these lyrics (Erykah, obviously) to be so appropriate (heh)

Young parents.

Sometimes you just need to remind yourself to maintain vitality
like those who raised you did so well!
The project basically included some gold spray-painting, the ghetto rendition of a stencil pattern, and craft paint. It truly isn't my best work, and maybe I'll find the time/energy/desire to spruce it up a little, but, that being said, I like it. 


Now to the life update portion of the evening.

This past weekend, I went with a bunch of my vet school friends to NOLA for Mardi Gras, which was pretty damn fun! Although I am truly no Tour Guide Barbie.. Good thing Khalid was there to help a sister out! So basically, we stayed at the Chateau Orleans, played in the Marigny/French Quarter on Friday night and some of Saturday, went to an uptown parade Saturday night, then did the late night thing at The Saint, and Sunday: *duh duh duh* BARKUS PARADE!!! (Doggies in costumes. Nuff said.)

Our room (the other was Marie Antoinette...)
Ready to roll!
Mardi Gras princess
Masked ladies!
Riding the New Orleans poodle/mouse thing?
Katherine gives her Dad and sister a taste of the action!
Our guide

Festive!

Look at that neck full of beads!!
Khalid's new friend
Ready to head out again
DJs at The Saint
Slider Shak guy makes Sliders
Street corners everywhere
Love a dog-friendly city!
Barkus Begins!!!
What a cute little clown, has something in his ears!


Scarlett and Rhett! (gotta love the gays)
Oh. Em. Gee. Best thing we saw all weekend!
If only this were a video, that Pekingese was waddling like a pro!
Happy Mardi Gras from a little hot dog!

I'm going to need a few days to recover, which I, of course, don't get, but. It was well worth it! 

Here's to a fabulous week!

No comments:

Post a Comment